Monday, January 17, 2011

Baking 101

As most, if not all of you know, I am no baker. I tend to stay away from making the sweets because I have no will power. However, I have been examining my girls' food intake and noticed that their diet does seem to be lacking in the sweets department. Anyways, I had some Granny Smith apples that needed to be used before they expired so I decided I would try my hand at making a "crisp". I cut up 3 apples in bite size pieces and placed them in a shallow pie dish and added one can of whole cranberries, and a dash of cinnamon. In a saucepan over low heat I combined 3/4 stick of unsalted butter with about 1 cup of brown sugar substitute and a splash of vanilla extract, mixed until well blended. In a bowl I had about 1 1/2 cups of quick cook oats. I added the ingredients from the saucepan to the bowl of oats and mixed together until all the oats were coated in the mixture. Then, I poured the mixture over the apples and cranberries. Placed the "crisp" in a preheated, guess it would have been good to mention that at the beginning, oh well, as I was saying placed the "crisp" in a preheated 350 degree oven and let it cook for about 45-50 minutes. Once it was cooled I served it with sugar-free whipped topping. It was just sweet enough and still healthy. I did a good job if I say so myself. I think I might reconsider the no baking idea. Let me know if you try it and what you and your family think.

1 comment: